Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thing #1 Lifelong Learners

The easiest habit of the lifelong learner for me is setting goals. As a high school teacher, I believe making it though each day is a small victory. I set goals daily, some very short term such as a to-do list, and others more lengthy. Just recently I set out to learn how to knit, and after numerous YouTube videos and lots of pulling apart my mistakes I have made quite a few scarves and head warmers. I fell like many of the habits of a lifelong learner are necessary in accomplishing your goals, such as accepting responsibility, turning problems into challenges, and having confidence.

On the other hand, I seem to struggle most with the 1/2 habit, playing. In the past year I worked as a full-time teacher, went to school for my masters part-time, planned a wedding, got married, bought a house, and remodeled it completely in 5 months. Even though I enjoyed each and every one of those things, they were all work and no play. I fell like the job of being a teacher is never ending and there is always something I can be doing at all times. I don't stop enough to go play and get my mind off my busy lifestyle.

4 comments:

  1. Setting goals is a good habit to be great at. It will serve you well in every aspect of your life. I also have a problem with play. I find that there never seems to be enough time. Lately I have found that I do need to slow down and make time to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I have learned when it comes to finding time to play in a busy life, is to have fun in everything you do. I am currently a caseworker for the Department of Human Services, and the job is never ending. There is always something to be done, but if I don't have fun with the other co-workers by simply cracking jokes at the crazy things happening around us at all times, I will become swallowed whole by the wotk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to-do lists! (Especially when I get the satisfaction of crossing something off of it.) There's just something about make a list that is very reassuring - like you know what you're setting out to do for the day.

    Also, I taught myself how to crochet. I'm not the best or anything, but I've made several scarves for people. The most complicating things I think I've made are little hand warmers and a wallet to match. Maybe someday I'll try knitting; although, two needles sounds very intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you have managed to accomplish so much and maintain your sanity. It is never easy to be busy all the time (I understand) and feel like your life is all work and no play. I love lists and I use them constantly in my life, otherwise, I would never remember everything that needs to get done. However, what I did is scheduled in "fun" times on my lists. Having kids, especially toddlers, they never let you forget that you haven't played with them as much so I made it a point to have plenty of "fun" things in our schedules. Maybe that's an idea...to schedule fun time for yourself, whether it's with your husband or with friends...possibly even having time to yourself. You can always use your strength to bolster your weakness! As a fellow crazy, busy person, I applaud everything you've accomplished and hope that more fun is able to come your way.

    ReplyDelete