Monday, April 14, 2014

Thing # 17 Social Bookmarking

After creating my Delicious account, I see the bigger picture behind social bookmarking. I never thought about how you bookmark stuff on your computer, so when you go to a different computer you can't see those bookmarks. Wow, that is a huge inconvenience that social bookmarking takes care of. Teachers could use tags to bookmark resources for each unit they teach. This would be something you could connect to that cool Wiki I talked about in my previous account. So that if a teacher needed a lab for determining molar mass, teachers could look at resources others have posted, and pick the lab that best fits their needs. Teaching really is about not having to recreate the wheel, so why not collaborate and share recourses, it just makes everyones life's easier. I could see this being useful in my classroom as well. A common question I get in my class is, "why do we need to know this?" I could have students who ask this question bookmark websites that connect what we are doing to real world situations. Students could tag these bookmarks and compile many reasons that what I am teaching them is relevant to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment