Monday, April 14, 2014

Thing # 20 YouTube


First of all, I love Kid Present and so do my students! I was excited to open up thing # 20 and see Kid President, so I decided to share another one of my favorite videos of his. Okay back to the post.. I really enjoy integrating YouTube videos into my Prezi presentations. YouTube videos are engaging to students and can help students see the real world application of standards. Sometimes I'm my class some students will be confused as to what I'm trying to say and getting another person to say it is as easy as opening up YouTube. I am glad that YouTube is controlled in CMCSS, and can only be pulled up on teachers' computers. This helps teachers use YouTube to facilitate the learning and not be a distraction.

Another useful tool in the classroom could be the video hosting site vine. This website allows you to put short video clips together, and repeat the whole video on a loop. This would be great for all science classrooms. You can take clips of something, like hatching a chicken egg, and loop it together to see the whole process very quickly. I found a vine of chemistry students making ice-cream. I usually do this lab with my students to show the affect of freezing point lowering by adding salt particles to ice. In this video you just see the kids shacking the ice-cream bags, then eating the ice-cream, but when teaching colligative properties if you were to show this, your students could tell you what exactly was going on in that bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment